VBT # Review: The Scars I Bare - JL Berg



The Scars I Bare (By the Bay, #2)

Review: The Scars I Bare - Book #2 By the Bay Series - J.L Berg - March 2018
Three years ago Dean Sutherland had everything going for him. He had a fiancee Molly, he was a business owner, and life was going great. That was until an accident occurred - a ferry explosion. People died, and others like Dean were scarred. Dean had to get his arm amputated, and a prosthetic fitted. He lost all hope and pushed people away. His fiancee ended up with the person she truly loved - Jake, and I loved how the three of them remained great friends, and his business was handed over to his brother Taylor while Dean wallowed in self-pity about his recovery. During his rehab and PT at the hospital, his bright spark was nurse Cora Ashcroft - it was a shame she had just gotten married.  Now three years later, Dean is trying to move on with his life and with the help of his best friends Jake and Molly he is slowly making progress and still writing in his recovery journal. Jake owns the clinic and has hired a new nurse who has moved to their small town along with her genius daughter Lizzie who stole the show - she was my favorite character. It turns out that Lizzie's mother is none other than Cora and she has recently divorced her husband as he was abusive. Cora has some secrets and baggage of her own though as she has yet to tell her family about leaving Blake and the reasons behind it. A slow build-up but I was glad and happy with the blossoming of Cora and Dean's romance, and he was amazing with Lizzie. The other part that I loved as it is the inner nerd of me was that Cora's family are big on Fandoms as other families are in Sports. I would love to have grown up in a proper Fandom loving family. I had a little bit of it but not like Cora's. This probably was one of my favorite parts of the whole book.  Overall the book wasn't as emotional or edgy as I thought it would be as her last book I had read The Tattered Gloves, and with a title like The Scars I Bare, but it still had tragic situations rolled into a second chance romance.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid